Commercial films as defined in the Wildlife Regulations includes but is not limited to, commercial films, theatrical productions, television productions, and advertisements.

Application process

Licensed Displayers, Demonstrators or Taxidermists who wish to provide wildlife for use in a commercial film must obtain the Department's written authorisation beforehand and should allow six to eight weeks lead time.

Application to use wildlife in Television, Commercial Films or Theatre Productions  (DOCX, 67.0 KB)
Application to use wildlife in Television, Commercial Films or Theatre Productions  (PDF, 106.7 KB)

Appropriate themes

Any proposed use of wildlife in commercial films should have a conservation theme, promoting animal welfare, ethical treatment of wildlife and responsible pet ownership.

Animal welfare

You must also comply with all requirements of the Code of Practice administered by the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources.

Who can supply wildlife for use in commercial films?

A licensed Wildlife Displayer, Demonstrator or Taxidermist may provide wildlife for use commercial films, in accordance with their wildlife licence conditions.

If you wish to discuss your requirements, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 136 186 or

Wildlife in the wild

Specific written authorisation is not required under the Wildlife Act 1975 to film wildlife in the wild, provided the wildlife is not in any way confined, controlled or manipulated during filming.

Wildlife must not be taken from the wild for this purpose. If filming is to take place within a State or National Park, written permission may be required from the responsible land manager, i.e. Parks Victoria.

For further information contact our Customer Service Centre on 136 186.

Page last updated: 25/07/19