The information contained in these returns gives a statewide overview of wildlife possession and trade which is used to help with wildlife management.
Your return is a summary of the wildlife transactions you conducted under your licence between 1 April and 31 March. Under the Wildlife Regulations 2013, it is a legal requirement that all wildlife licence holders:
- keep a copy of your return for future reference
- submit a complete and legible return
- complete your return by 14 April.
Your Return Form must not be completed before 31 March.
Penalties apply if these obligations are not met.
If you do not submit a return, you may not be eligible to renew your licence.
Information contained in the returns is strictly confidential. The deadline for submission of returns is 14 April each year.
A Return Form specific to your licence will be included with your licence. Return Forms specific to your licence type are also available at:
You may also request a copy from the DELWP Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
Licences holders who do not currently hold wildlife
Even if you did not conduct any transactions during the return period and do not currently hold any wildlife, you must still submit a return.
In such cases, clearly and accurately write your name, address and licence number in the space provided, sign and date the form and write 'NIL RETURN' across the form.
Species codes are used to ensure accuracy in record keeping and data-entry.
If you use an incorrect code in your return, the issue of your licence or a related permit may be delayed while the matter is investigated. Licence holders should refer to the correct codes provided in the species code lists (below):
Remember to sign and date the form.
You must keep a legible copy of each Return Form.
- you fill in all of the sections of the Return Form clearly and completely, using the species code numbers provided in the species code list and sign and date the form
- your current licence number is correct, as an incorrect licence number may mean that your return is not registered
- all transactions for a single species are summarised on one line only and that each species is listed only once in each return
- your numbers add-up; for example 11 alive + 2 bred + 3 purchased – 1 death (destroyed) – 3 exports – 1 escape = 11 alive.
- male and female specimens of the same species separately
- adult and juvenile specimens of the same species separately
- breeding that occurred before the current return period
- acquisitions or purchases that occurred before the current return period
- exotic species or wildlife species that do not require a licence.
If you have any questions about returns, please contact the DELWP Customer Service Centre on 136 186.
Page last updated: 09/03/19