What is the Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants program?

The Victorian Government’s Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants program provides funding to support wildlife rehabilitators to improve the standard of wildlife care they provide, improve their facilities to treat, house and rehabilitate wildlife for release and increase their knowledge and skills in the care of wildlife.

Can I decide how to use funding?

You can decide what items (equipment, infrastructure, and training) to apply for in the application form.

Ensure you only choose eligible items, as detailed in the guidelines.

If your grant is approved, then grant funds can only be used on the approved budget items and activities.

This will be specified in your Letter of Offer and the signed Victorian Common Funding Agreement (contract) for the grant.

How long do I have to complete the project?

You will need to complete your project and all approved purchases and activities by 31 December 2022.

A completion report and evidence will be due 31 January 2023.

Why do I need the property owner’s consent for my project?

You will need to demonstrate that the property owner supports your activities as infrastructure including enclosures and aviaries are significant items to install on someone else’s property.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) would like to see long term benefit from the infrastructure funding we provide.

Written approval to install infrastructure on someone else’s property is required at the application stage and is an eligibility requirement.

Can two people at the same address apply for a grant?

No. Only one grant per address.

How can I apply?

Apply at Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants. From this web page, click on the Start a new application button.

Please see the Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants 2021-22 Guidelines for further information on how to apply.

What is the training attendance record?

The training attendance record is a template that is available online, or you can build your own table, to include all the training and conferences you have undertaken or completed over time.

Attach this form in the Supporting Documents section of the application form.

Alternately, you can list your training in the application form.

If I need to make a change to my application form, what do I do?

Please ensure that you carefully read and check your application form before submitting.

Use the Preview button to check you have completed all relevant sections, that all the information is true and correct and that you have attached required supporting documents.

In the unlikely event that you do need to make a change after you have pressed submit:

  • if more than one day before the end date - email the Grants Online team.
  • If less than one day before the closing time - submit a new application form by going to Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants and click on the Start a new application button. Please make a note in the feedback section that it is a corrected version, so that we can disregard your previous/incorrect application.

Will receipt of my application form be acknowledged?

Receipt of your application will be acknowledged via a Grants Online system generated email to your registered email address.

You can also login to Grants Online to access your draft and submitted applications.

I have submitted my application form, now what happens?

Applications will be assessed against the funding criteria by an Assessment Panel. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application.

Please note that notification could take some time by the time assessment is done and approval is sought.

If my wildlife carer licence has expired, am I still eligible for this grant?

You must have renewed your shelter operator or foster carer licence if you wish to remain eligible for a Wildlife Rehabilitator Grant 2021-22.

Please provide your licence number when applying so we can confirm you are still an authorised carer until 30 June 2022.

Why do I need to have two years minimum experience to be eligible to apply for a grant?

Rehabilitation of animals can be time consuming and resource intensive.

The two years minimum requirement is to ensure that you are committed to being a rehabilitator, have done some training, and have the support around you to be successful.

Can I apply for one item category only?

Yes. However, funding for consumable items such as feed, petrol and medical supplies is limited to $1,500.

Can I apply for an item or training course that is not listed in the guidelines?

Yes, providing it’s not listed as an ineligible item.

The Assessment Panel has the discretion to approve any action or activity determined to be an appropriate or suitable use of the funds.

Any item or training not specifically stated as ineligible, will be assessed on merit.

This will be determined by how relevant the item or training is to wildlife rehabilitation.

Please note that if the item you apply for is deemed ineligible, this will not affect the rest of your application if you separately list any other items or courses on your application.

If you are unsure about an item, please contact the Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants team.

What is not eligible for funding?

Grants can only be used for equipment primarily for wildlife care and rehabilitation.

Funding will not be available for utility costs such as electricity, water, gas and sewerage bills.

Vehicles, boats, computers and communication devices, such as mobile phones, will not be considered for funding.

Please see the Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants 2021-22 Guidelines for further information.

How do I know the assessment process is fair?

It is important that all participants in the program are treated equitably and fairly, and that participants retain confidence in the integrity of the assessment process.

To achieve this, DELWP has an assessment process with panel members bound to probity (fair and unbiased) principles.

When will the funds be in my nominated bank account?

Funding will be processed within four weeks or less upon signing of the Victorian Common Funding Agreement by both parties.

It is important for you to notify DELWP if your banking details have changed.

What happens if I want or need to change what I spend my grant funding on?

Once you enter a funding agreement, any changes to the budget, activities and items will need to be approved by DELWP.

You will need to email the Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants team in the first instance before submitting a variation request.

Any variations will be assessed against the funding criteria specified in the guidelines.

If my application is unsuccessful, can I ask for feedback?

Yes, and we encourage you to ask for feedback.

The announcement letter/email will include contact details on who to contact for feedback.

When will I hear whether I have been successful?

DELWP anticipates that announcements will be made by the end of December 2021.

However, this is an indicative timeframe and delays in notification may occur.

To stay up to date with announcements, please visit Wildlife Rehabilitator Grants.

Page last updated: 16/09/21