Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Victorian Government has announced new measures to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) which came into force at midnight on 25 March 2020.

Venues that must close to the public include zoos, petting zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks.  

For the latest information please see

Due to the current Victorian State of Emergency declared in response to the coronavirus health risk, applicants are encouraged to submit applications via email for the following permits:

  • Authorities to Control Wildlife (ATCW)
  • Wildlife Import/Export Permits
  • Commercial wildlife licences

Please note that there may be delays in processing applications, particularly if submitted by post (email is preferred).

Bushfire Response

Grants for wildlife rehabilitators and shelters

Licenced wildlife shelters and foster carers who are receiving animals as a result of recent bushfires are eligible to apply for a Victorian Government grant of up to $1000.

Find out more or apply for a grant

Feeding wildlife

DELWP has developed a fact sheet to assist members of the community to understand the risks associated with providing supplementary feed for wildlife, so they can make an informed decision about providing supplementary food in bushfire-affected areas. Prior to providing food for wildlife in bushfire-affected areas, it is important that you consider the risks outlined in the fact sheet and if you do choose to provide food for wildlife, take all necessary steps to minimise those risks.

Guidance for providing supplementary feed for wildlife (PDF, 132.9 KB)

Wildlife compliance and enforcement

Understand the role of Authorised Wildlife Officers and how to report wildlife and environmental crime.

Wildlife research, tourism and cinema

Apply for a permit to research, film or conduct tours involving native wildlife.